Valentine's Day, Romance...and God?

Valentine’s Day is only a week away.

That shouldn’t be earth-shattering news to any of us. After all, how could we not be aware?Stores stock their shelves with Valentine’s Day cards as they remove Christmas items. Commercials try to influence us into believing the best way – and sometimes the only way - for a man to show his love is by giving diamonds or pearls. And the only way for a woman to know she’s truly loved is by receiving a gift that comes with a high price tag.

Now don't get me wrong! I'm not against giving or receiving jewelry...or flowers...or chocolate. (Just in case my husband is reading this!) I like those things just as much as any other female. (Especially dark chocolate, Honey) But, I don’t think they’re the only way – or even sometimes the best way - to show a person how much we care about them.

I think it’s sad that for some people, a holiday is needed in order to celebrate and express love for a spouse, fiancé, or the person they’re dating. Hello! What’s wrong with this picture?

What I think is even more sad is how many marriages are lacking romance. I’m not talking about the “moonlight and roses” kind of romance. But, the every day kind of stuff that keeps the interest and fires burning. The kind that makes you want to spend time alone together because you enjoy each other’s company. Even if it’s just snuggling up with a bowl of popcorn to watch a movie on a Saturday night.

We’re bombarded with romance outside of our relationships through movies, advertisements, and books. Look at all the shelves in grocery stores that are full of paperback romances. Women aren’t buying them because of the racy sex found in “some” of them. (Well…at least in most cases.) They’re buying them because the stories transport them to a place where they can re-live the experience of falling in love all over again.

Women are hungry for romance. But, I won’t accept that we’re alone in this. I think men need their own version of romance just as much as women do. It may look different from ours, but it’s there. Underneath their skin. Deep down in their heart. Am I wrong???

I also believe that God is very interested in how we bring romance into our lives. I don’t think the subject, or concept, is trivial for Him in the least. After all, He made men and women with an attraction for each other. He gave us these inner needs...to be loved, cared for, honored, desired, and cherished...and wants them to be met in a healthy way.

I’m going to be focusing on the topic of “romance” in my posts this week.

If you have any comments on what I’ve written…or suggestions on what you’d like to have me write…I’d love to read them. Please post them in the comment section.

Till then,
Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye