What Makes You Feel Loved?

Romance - Part 3

How we communicate our feelings plays a large part in romance.

Sometimes all it takes is a few words to say it all. Did you see the movie, “Jerry McQuire?” Remember the now famous quotes when Jerry (Tom Cruise) tries to explain how he feels about Dorothy (Renee Zellweger)?

Jerry : “You... you complete me. And I just..."
Dorothy: “Shut up, just shut up. You had me at hello.”

People all over America went, “Ahhhhh…how romantic!”

Those words said it all. But, romance can also be as subtle as a look exchanged between two people, a light touch, or a call in the middle of the day.

I experienced an “ah-hah” moment some years ago when I read The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. The book made sense and correlated with what I’d experienced in my own life.

In the book, Gary explains that not everyone feels loved in the same way as the next person…nor do they communicate love the same way. So, your spouse might be showing love in a way that makes them feel loved – and still may be totally missing the mark with you. And vice versa. Discovering our love languages can change how we communicate our feelings for each other – and in turn rev up the romance in our relationship.

What love language fits you?
(You may have more than one.)

Words of Affirmation – You feel loved when someone gives you a compliment, words of encouragement, or verbal acknowledgement.

Quality Time – It involves sharing experiences, thoughts, feelings and desires while having uninterrupted time together.

Receiving Gifts – The gift doesn’t need to be expensive or given every day. But, it’s looked at as a treasure and a symbol of the love given.

Acts of Service – You feel loved when your mate does helpful things, without resentment, that makes your life or work load easier.

Physical Touch – The touch doesn’t have to be sexual in nature, but without touch you feel unloved and you wither away inside.

To learn more about the five languages of love, click here: http://www.fivelovelanguages.com/learn.html

Keep sharing the love,
Dawn

1 comment:

  1. My husband and I were in a class years ago where we had to make a list of the other's love language, in order (does that make sense?) Anyway, we both put Receiving Gifts at the bottom, and we were both correct. The women in my group thought I was lying! But it's true. I appreciate gifts, but my husband knows that doing the dishes or giving me a hug mean more. I love that he 'gets' me :)

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye