Yearning for Somewhere Over the Rainbow




Every once in a while a musical piece is written that creates a stirring and an emotion that rises from the depths of our hearts. “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” has been that kind of song.

The first time I heard the tune, I was dressed in my pajamas and sitting in front of a very small black and white TV watching The Wizard of Oz starring Judy Garland. The movie was first shown in theaters 1939, but it was first telecast on television on Saturday, November 3, 1956—a month before I was born. That’s right! The movie and song have been around for a loooong time!

“Somewhere Over the Rainbow” captured my imagination then, and it still does. For years, I sang the soothing melody to my daughters after they crawled into bed at night. Now, whenever I care for my grandson, he snuggles in and listens to those magical words as he settles down for his nap.

Why has one song made such an impact in our lives? Why has it been sung publicly and recorded countless times?

“Somewhere over the rainbow skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.”

How many of us have dreams? How many of us are struggling to make them happen?

“Somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly.
Birds fly over the rainbow. Why then, oh, why can’t I?”

Those two lines could be viewed or heard as a lament. They could also be embraced as encouragement.

Why not you? Why not me?

We can follow our dreams, even if the journey sometimes feels like we have to travel as far as the other side of the rainbow. The destination is worth it!

Go on … start heading down the yellow brick road.

What’s stopping you?

Dawn


Music is a big part of my life. It moves me emotionally, physically, and spiritually. So, I want to share Josh Groban’s latest rendition of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” It’s one of the most beautiful I’ve heard. Enjoy! 



2 comments:

  1. Thanks Dawn. It appreciate the way you offer a choice to the phrase "Why can't oh why can't I?" It causes me to ponder if I'm whining again or is the Spirit saying "Let's achieve your dream together"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Mary! The attitude we have makes such a difference! We can look at what others are achieving around us and feel sorry for ourselves because we're not seeing our dreams come true as fast as we want them to. Or we can keep going down the road, trusting that God is riding along with us, willing to help when we hit those troublesome bumps that deflate our tires.

      Delete


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye