Cracker Jack and the Prize Inside

The other night my husband and I drove into Seattle to watch the Mariners play baseball. The evening was beautiful and we enjoyed the amazing view of Puget Sound from Safeco Field.

I had in tow my favorite kettle corn, but my husband opted for peanuts and Cracker Jacks. How could he not go with the standard fare of die-hard baseballs fans?

The next day, out of curiosity, I googled Cracker Jack. Would you believe there’s an entire website dedicated to this treat? Yep, there is. You’ll find interesting information at http://www.crackerjack.com/ .

For instance, according to the website:

Cracker Jack is the world's largest user of toys. More than 23 billion toys have been given out since 1912. Some old Cracker Jack prizes are valued at more than $7,000. And a complete series of original 1915 baseball cards has been valued as high as $60,000.

There are even official organizations focused on Cracker Jack collectables. They have their own newsletters and hold Cracker Jack conventions.

Cracker Jack has remained popular for many years. It was even included in the famous song “Take Me Out to the Ball Game.” Part of the notoriety of the snack has come from including a prize in every bag or box.

While watching the baseball game, my husband opened his bag of Cracker Jack and handed me the prize buried beneath the sweet snack. I sighed. It wasn’t the type of prize I used to find in my youth. Years ago—yes, many years ago—we used to find “real” toys. Objects we could actually play with, or if we were really fortunate, maybe a cool ring.

The prizes of today - small paper puzzles, riddles, or pencil toppers - are disappointing for those of us who remember better times. If you’re really lucky, you might get an imitation baseball card.

As followers of Christ, the opposite is true.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:14.

We’ll never be disappointed in the prize that awaits us. And that’s pretty cool…

Dawn

2 comments:

  1. OK, how about a whole website dedicated to the production of Kettle Corn? (I still like to eat Cracker Jacks though!)

    Velma's "Wicked Delicious" Kettle Corn popcorn

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!

    I'm with you Velma. I'd choose Kettle Corn over Cracker Jacks any day.

    Thanks for stopping by and saying, "hi."

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye