Don't Be Robbed!

This past week I took a big step. I resigned from a job I’d held for nine years to take a new position at the corporate office for a telecommunications company.

I’m excited about this venture. I’ll be working in the same department as a close friend and my oldest daughter. Both had encouraged me to apply for some time. Frustrations connected to the other job will be eliminated. And I know from my friend and daughter how well employees are treated.

When I gave my resignation letter to the General Manager, he responded with few words. During the year he’s been employed by the dealership, he and I never “appreciated” each other.

I learned that he wanted to release me that day, believing they didn’t really need me, but the other three managers talked him out of it. I also learned that he’d made the decision to not replace me, feeling that it would be easy for them to cover my responsibilities. The managers and other employees were upset about his plan…and so was I.

It felt like all the years I’d given to the company weren’t valued by this man. Knowing how he felt about my presence there…and with the blessing of my husband and heartfelt understanding from my co-workers…I spent the next day orienting them to various pieces of my job, packed up, and said goodbye.

I talked to a friend today about my feelings regarding the situation. She suggested the GM hadn’t made the statements out of personal feelings toward me, but was only seeing a way to eliminate costs. She could very well be right.

Today I was also reminded of what my friend, Annette M. Irby, recently wrote in her blog about our value in the Lord’s eyes. I have VALUE regardless of what man may think or say. (check the post for January 24th at www.annetteirby.blogspot.com)

It’s not my job to please men (or women) or seek value in their praises. I’m a child of the King. As long as He looks upon me with favor, why stress about what other people think?

But, that’s exactly what I’d done. I’d become so affected by one person who I felt didn’t appreciate or approve of me, that I allowed him to rob me of my joy.

The joy of starting a new job that has the potential to bring good things my way.
The joy from hugs and affirmation given by co-workers.
The joy of knowing that God has His loving hand in the new direction my life is taking.

We take precautions so no one robs us of our identity…our money…our time. Then why are we willing to let things or people in the world rob us of our joy?

Sometimes we even make it easy.
We just hand it over without a fight.
But, as a child of God – a life filled with joy is our birthright.

As children of the heavenly Father, our joy shouldn’t depend on our circumstances. God not only watches over us, He also sent the Holy Spirit to dwell within us.

The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace… Gal 5:22

I need to let go of the situation with my “former” manager and allow the Holy Spirit to do His job.

Does anyone…or anything…have the potential to steal your joy?

Dawn

3 comments:

  1. This is such a great post, Dawn. I love this way of looking at it. We shouldn't let the enemy steal our joy. I know you're on the brink of God's good plans for your future.

    Many hugs,
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn,
    I'm so happy for you! My daughter just left a job that was killing her for a much better job--though it was scary to even try for another job. I can undertand how happy you must be!

    This is Katie, previously from Seattle...I live in Albuquerque now! My new blog is at: http://albuquerquechristianwoman.blogspot.com/

    I've been absent from writing for about 7 months but have just re-checked into ACFW and am beginning a new project. It's good to hear you're doing well!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie,
    It's sooo good to hear from you! I'm glad you're getting back to writing. :) I'll be sure to check out your new blog.

    Thanks for re-connecting!

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye