That Ugly Word - Discipline

I groaned as I looked at the alarm clock next to my bed. It read 5:00 am. Time to get up if I was going to work out before leaving for my job.

I’m not a morning person. I repeat. I am NOT a morning person.

But, if I’m going to fit exercise into my hectic day, I have a better chance of accomplishing it first thing. Unfortunately, too many mornings, I shut off the alarm, roll over, and go back to sleep.

I threw the covers off, forced myself to put my feet on the floor, and moved like a slug to my home office. I put on headphones and turned on the small TV on the wall in front of me. Listening to Joyce Meyer keeps me distracted from changing my mind and crawling back into bed.

I like Joyce. She’s direct, but humorous, and her preaching speaks to what we experience in our daily lives.

This morning she used a rocking chair to illustrate a point.

Wanting to accomplish something, but never taking any steps needed to reach the goal is like rocking in a chair, putting forth some energy, but going nowhere. And then wondering why we don’t make any headway.

Have you ever heard yourself moan these words?

“I wish I wasn’t overweight.”

“I wish I wasn’t in debt.”

“I wish I had a better job.”

“I wish my house was clean.”

“I wish I was in better shape."

“I wish I felt closer to God.”

If we want something to happen, we need to get off our butts and move. God is more than willing to help us – He wants the best for us. But, He also expects some effort on our part.

He expects us to implement that word.
What was it again?
Ahhh…that’s right. DISCIPLINE.

I’ll never look at a rocking chair the same way again.
And yes…I’ll be back on the treadmill tomorrow.
Whether I like it, or not.

Dawn

Treadmill


No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye