Purpose Uses Your Passions and Callings



Is there anything worse than facing another day at a job you hate?

Okay … there are a lot worse things. We should be thankful each morning for life, health, and the freedom to pursue happiness.

But its not so easy when you have a job that drains the life out of you. Some of you know what I mean. Sure, you’d like to do something different, but opportunities for change haven’t exactly fallen at your feet—and you have bills and responsibilities.

There was a time when I avoided going to bed  at night—regardless of how tired I felt—just because I knew once I fell asleep, I’d wake up and have to do it all over again.

I’ve been employed in jobs where I really enjoyed my co-workers, but I was so bored, I watched the clock all day. I’ve also been in positions where the work was so stressful, I watched the clock all day. Time moved slower than a Seattle slug …

In both situations, I thought what am I doing here? What’s the point? Besides taking home a paycheck.

So I get it! I really do. Some of you are getting worn out from the daily grind.

I’ve become one of the fortunate people who after years of seeking my calling have not only found it, I’m able to live it. Now time flies so fast, I often wish I had forty-eight hours in my day instead of twenty-four.

But I’ve been there, so my heart feels for those of you who are struggling with finding your purpose. Be aware of what excites you to get up in the morning. What would you love to do? Remember that sitting on a beach indefinitely and drinking mai tais may not be an option.

Some of you may yearn to pursue an interest, but feel stuck in situations where you currently don’t see a way out. Maybe it isn’t possible to make significant changes right now. Regardless of whether your job is or isn’t the issue, I encourage you to not give up or fall into believing that a fulfilling life is something you can only achieve someday.

If you can find ways to use your passion now or even take advantages of opportunities that help your discover or learn more about your interests, you’ll feel like you’re moving forward. Are you carving out a little time in the week for those things that feed your soul and serve others? I can almost promise that if you give yourself that precious time, which can sometimes be difficult to claim, that frustrating job situation will be much easier to handle.

I know … doubts that we have anything to offer can creep in. We may be tempted to believe that we’re not talented enough, we’re not smart enough, we’re not good enough …  Don’t accept those lies.

If you enjoy growing flowers and creating bouquets, share them with neighbors, shut-ins, hospitals, etc.

Do you enjoy growing vegetables? Share them with those in need.

Are you a book lover? A teacher? There are children to be read to and others who could benefit from tutoring.

Do you create some form of art? Where might your creations brighten up an otherwise dreary place?

I could go on … but I think you get the point. You don’t have to have a flashy job or have the title of “pastor” to have a calling.

Someone needs what you have to give.


How are you using your passions now to feed a need for purpose? What is stopping you from pursuing your passion or calling?

Dawn



No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye