Where the Heart Leads by Kim Vogel Sawyer

Regardless of whether you normally seek out historical romance or not, I recommend you read, Where the Heart Leads, by Kim Vogel Sawyer.

Where the Heart Leads is an engaging story about Thomas Ollenberger, a young man torn between his Mennonite roots on the Kansas prairie and his love for the big city of Boston. Thomas also struggles with his feelings for two women. Two women who are so different, the only thing they have in common is their love for him.

Even though this novel is set in 1904, it still resonates with what people experience today. We all must decide on a daily basis what path we choose. Do we let ourselves be drawn to what looks like the ultimate path to happiness? Or do we seek God for His direction and His timing?

And sometimes, when we think we have it all figured out . . . God surprises us.

I have to admit—this book was not satisfying for me—but only because I was not ready to see the story end! I wanted to continue the journey I’d begun with the characters. Where the Heart Leads is the sequel to Kim’s novel, Waiting for Summer’s Return, another favorite of mine. Both also work well as stand-alone novels. You don’t HAVE to read one to enjoy the other, but I encourage you to read both.

I met Kim four years ago at my first American Christian Writer’s Conference. I would describe her as lovely, gentle, and humble. It’s been fun for me to see her career take off and grow. After reading this novel, I had a few questions for her.

What draws you to writing stories about Mennonites?

Since I have a Mennonite background (I was raised Mennonite Brethren), I feel as though I'm writing about my own family history when I pen stories including the Mennonites. That makes it personal. I am proud of my Mennonite heritage--they are faithful people who endured persecution for staying true to their faith. It pleases me to honor that heritage through story.

What do you want readers to take away from reading this novel?

Jeremiah 29:11 tells us that God has a plan for every life. When we seek Him and follow His plan, we find joy and contentment. Sometimes we stubborn humans run in directions of our own choosing, and while we might enjoy temporary pleasure in that venture, lasting fulfillment only comes when we are in the center of His will.

I became attached to the characters in this story – especially Belinda. Are there plans for any sequels?

As much as I would enjoy writing another story about these characters (wouldn't it be fun to see what Abby, Gussie, and Little Lena do with their lives?) I doubt there will be a third story. I am contracted to write stand-alones. Thomas's story was very different from the first one--and wasn't really dependent on the first one--so it worked. However, a third book would denote a "series," so that probably won't happen. But thanks for getting attached enough to the characters to want their story to continue!

Thanks, Kim, for answering my questions.


Kim’s Bio

Kim Vogel Sawyer is fond of C words like children, cats, and chocolate. She is the author of eleven novels. She’s active in her church, where she teaches adult Sunday School and participates in both voice and bell choirs. In her spare time, she enjoys drama, quilting, and calligraphy. Kim and her husband, Don, reside in central Kansas and have three daughters and six grandchildren.

You can find out more about Kim and her novels by visiting her website at http://www.kimvogelsawyer.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye