Wondering if You Have a Purpose?



Most of us probably have days when we wonder if we’re making a difference and if we really have a purpose beyond the usual grind.

Without question, the answer is yes!

How can I be so sure?

I believe in the power of story. Of course, as a writer, I believe that the written word has the power to change lives. But when I leave my imaginary worlds, I’m also aware that my personal, real-life story is being written every day. So is yours! Those we come in contact with become a part of our stories, and we become a part of theirs.

So, whatever we say, and whatever we do, has the potential to have a lasting, and possibly eternal, impact on other individuals, regardless of how little contact we have with them.

Our actions become a part of our legacies—what we leave by behind that has an effect on others. Some people think of legacy as money or material items of worth, but it can also be a way of thinking or living.

I think of my legacy as a huge responsibility, and it gives me purpose every day. What can I say, write, or do that will make a difference in someone’s life?

God, our Father, and the Creator of all things has written our stories. Any writer will tell you that conflict is an important element in interesting stories. Without it, people quickly become bored, sometimes to the point of no longer engaging. So, we can’t expect our purpose here to be easy. But a good story also includes moments of victory over challenges, and through them, characters change and hopefully grow to become better people.

On those days when we struggle, will we trust that God knows our hearts, skills, and passions, and that he’ll provide opportunities in our lives that will fulfill certain desires in due time? Are we willing to look at what we can do on a daily basis that will give us a sense of purpose—even small things that aren’t always visible to the public or romantic, but will ultimately become part of our legacies?

If we believe what the Bible says, we can find encouragement in the following words:


The Lord will complete what his purpose is for me. (Psalm 138:8 ISV)
The Lord will work out his plans for my life. (Psalm 138:8 NLT)
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11 NIV)


Perhaps while waiting for our hearts’ desires to come to fruition, we can trust that the Lord has our backs. And in the meantime, maybe we can find purpose just by seeking it even in the smallest of things …


Where do you find purpose in your daily life?
What legacy are you hoping to leave?

Dawn


No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye