The Flowers at Your Feet

Mahatma Ghandi once said, “There is more to life than increasing its speed.”

There’s a lot of wisdom contained in those few words.

But it’s hard for us to slow down, isn’t it? There’s always so much to do. We go to work in the morning, pour ourselves into our jobs, and arrive home exhausted to face a list of tasks. Then we fall comatose into our beds, only to get up the next morning and do it all over again.

But we pay for our speed and need to produce.

That’s been made even clearer to me these past weeks. The beginning of April, I was able to leave my day job and put all my energy into writing and working as a freelance editor from home. It took several weeks for me to decompress and let go of the stress I’d been carrying while trying to maintain two professional worlds.

Prior to that, I knew something needed to change. My husband, out of love, kept gently pointing out how out-of-balance my life had gotten. But now I see how spiritually, emotionally, mentally, and physically damaging it was becoming.

I still have deadlines. And I will continue to put expectations on myself to be productive. But, I’m so much happier and relaxed. Slowing down has provided a different kind of energy – unlike what is created by adrenaline and caffeine. Creative moments come easier. I’m able to enjoy moments with family and friends without a silent voice whispering in my ear that I should be working.

I can breathe . . .

“In the hopes of reaching the moon men fail to see the flowers that blossom at their feet.” ~ Albert Schweitzer

I know people have responsibilities and obligations. I know it’s not possible for everyone to leave their occupation and work from home at their dream job. Trust me. I sooooo get that. I feel very blessed to have that option right now.

But I also believe that God desires for us to slow down, refresh, and enjoy time with family and friends. Jesus did. God also gave us the Sabbath as a day of rest and renewal.

Breathe in fresh air (whatever that means for you) and see the flowers that blossom at your feet.

Have a great week!

Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye