Angels Watching Over Us

Do you believe in guardian angels?

I do.

And I wonder how much they’ve had to do with the small and large miracles that have occurred in my life. Does God give them direction as to when they should step in and intervene? Or are they given a general command to watch over and protect?

If we sat back and thought about it, I think we’d all be able to fill a notebook with stories of how something could have gone soooo bad, but we were spared. And we could also share anecdotes about unexpected blessings.

This week—once again—I experienced someone in traffic cutting in front of me. The lady was to my right and just ahead of me. Cars lined up as we approached a red stop light. Without warning, she bolted to the left in order to drive around the car ahead of her, only to veer back into her original lane. As I saw her move into my lane, I did what I could to stop. I couldn’t drive into the oncoming traffic in the lane to the right of me!

I’m sure I missed hitting her car by mere inches, but she drove on, probably clueless as to what happened. I had to concentrate so hard on not hitting any other cars, I couldn’t even give her a warning honk on the horn. Whew! It felt like my guardian angel stood as a buffer between the two vehicles.

Perhaps even more incredible was what I experienced when my car was stolen some years ago. I’d received a notice from the IRS that I owed a large sum of money for back taxes due to forms being incorrectly filed years prior to that. Of course interest had been added on each year in-between filing and being contacted. I actually DIDN’T owe the additional taxes, but needed to meet with my accountant to get the situation resolved, and set up an appointment to bring in vital documents pertaining to my case.

I met with him after work on a Friday, prior to meeting a friend for dinner and a play. Later that night, I came out of the theater and discovered that my car had been stolen. (I no longer own cars without securities systems!) Not only had my vehicle been taken, but the backpack that held important tax papers and personal information—like my social security number. I was devastated and fearful of what thieves could do with that information. And angry with myself for leaving the documents in the car to begin with.

So my husband and I prayed . . .

The next day I received a call from a fellow employee who worked on Saturdays. He’d received a phone call from a lady who had found my backpack, and after locating a phone number inside, called looking for me.
The elderly lady lived on the third floor in an apartment building in a small city nearby. She’d discovered the backpack sitting on the floor next to the elevator door.

I was stunned.

We retrieved the backpack and discovered that insignificant articles had been taken – gum, Chap stick, etc. It didn’t look like the documents had been bothered. I’ve never had any problems with identity theft. Either the people who took the car didn’t have a clue as to what they held in their hands . . . or my guardian angel blinded them to it.

God is good.

And the car? Weeks later I receive a call from the Seattle police department. It had been involved in a hit- and-run in the heart of the city, totaling the car and leaving the occupant of the other vehicle in the hospital. The thieves were never caught.

Guardian angels watching over us . . .

Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye