Just Give...

A woman with gray hair at the temples approached me in the parking lot. She wore jeans and a clean lavender T-shirt. In her hand she carried a small, plastic grocery bag, but in her face she carried a load of worry.

“Excuse me,” she said. “I’ve just paid my rent and I have no money for food.” She held up the plastic bag. “This here’s my medicine. Could you spare a couple of dollars? I have a microwave, so I could cook something.”

When asked to give, it’s so easy to question the integrity of an organization or individual. In this case, was the woman really going to use the money for food? Or was she just playing the sympathy game in order to con me out of all she could?

In a split second I looked at the back of our pick-up, full of plants and flowers for our backyard. For our pleasure. A luxury. Ready to be thrown in the trash was an empty paper cup - all that remained of the coffee I’d purchased at Starbucks that morning without any concern for what it would it cost.

I opened my wallet and handed her a small amount of cash.

“Thank you,” she said.

“You’re welcome.” I meant it.

Yes, we’re to be good stewards of our money. When we give to any individual, ministry, or charity, we should use good judgment.

But, I also believe there are times when God asks us to just give.

Give because we can. And then don’t worry about how, why, or what the money is going to be used for.

Just let it go…

"Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.

Do to others as you would have them do to you.

If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them.

And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that.

And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full.

But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because He is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.

Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”

Luke 6: 30-38

God will bless our willingness to give.

Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye