Ready for Christmas?

Are you ready for Christmas?

I set aside the day after Thanksgiving every year to put up several trees and decorate our home. I enjoy the transformation, but it takes a lot of time and energy.

My husband looks forward to lighting the yard and exterior of our home. This year because of complications that seem to come with stringing many lights, it took him two days to complete the task to his satisfaction. But, now when I arrive home after a long day at work, I’m welcomed by a beautiful display.

For many years I’ve included a letter and photos of the family in Christmas cards sent to friends and relatives. The girls, now in their twenties, have been put through the drill of having their photo taken for this mailing since they were babes. Their part in this is to sputter and complain. “Mom is at it again!” But, the first year I suggested we didn’t do photos since they’re all out on their own, I heard protest. Hmmm…what do you know? They actually love the tradition.

Do you bake mounds of cookies in preparation? I hadn’t baked much at all these past years. I have enough trouble staying away from sugar as it is! But, I did spend a day baking and freezing sweet treats for a Christmas party we held in our home last night.

Of course there’s shopping to finish…and packages that need to be mailed out to family in the Midwest.

Many hours are spent in preparation for the holidays…

But, what about preparing my heart?

How much time have I spent embracing and reflecting on the reason why we do all this?

Not enough.

Not nearly enough.

Father in heaven, fill my heart with joy and wonder as I celebrate the birth of Your Son… my Savior, Lord, and King.

Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye