Planning for the Future

I’m a planner.

If we give a party, I have the menu figured out weeks in advance.

If I go on a trip, my wardrobe is laid out several days ahead.

My husband is also a planner. Besides having IRAs, we both contribute to retirement plans offered through our employment. We meet with a financial planner several times a year to make sure we’re on the right track with our financial resources so we can live comfortably once we do retire. All of that is important if we want to maintain our independence as we grow older.

The company I work for recently switched to another 401k service provider. That meant attending a meeting, and once again, making decisions and filling out forms as to how I wanted my contributions invested. It can be mind boggling for people like me who don’t fully understand investment strategies.

Focusing on our financial future has prompted me to take inventory.

Inventory of my heavenly treasures.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal." Matthew 6:19-20

What am I doing to plan for my future in eternity?

Am I investing in what will never disintegrate, fade, or lose value? Like my relationship with my Lord, my family, and my friends? Or helping others, whether they have spiritual, physical, emotional, or financial needs?

God doesn’t reward us with eternal life because of our “good deeds.” That’s a gift for anyone who wants to receive it. But, once we’re with Him in heaven, we'll be rewarded for the kind of life we led on earth.

“Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven…” Matthew 5:12

My 401k will eventually run out – or my children will inherit what’s left.

But, my reward in heaven…that’s forever.

Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye