Beware of the "Golden Compass"

Although I don’t write fantasy, I appreciate the creativity. I’ve always enjoyed reading books and watching movies that have the ability to transport me to other worlds and introduce me to interesting characters and creatures.

So I’ve been intrigued by the children’s movie, The Golden Compass, which is being released in December and stars Nicole Kidman.

However, I was disturbed and disappointed to discover the following information.

The Golden Compass is written by Phillip Pullman, an atheist with a hidden agenda.

The movie is based on the first of a trilogy of books for children called His Dark Materials. The hope is that if children and parents are drawn into this softer, watered down version of the first book, they’ll be enticed to purchase the trilogy.

Pullman is very open about the purpose of these works. His Dark Materials was written to lead children toward anti-Christian beliefs.

In the first book, The Golden Compass, the church is in the business of kidnapping children and conducting some rather unpleasant experiments on them.

In the end of the last book, after the children kill God, everyone can do as they please.

I have no problem with an atheist speaking or writing about his beliefs – or non-beliefs. He should have the same rights and privileges that I have. The movie may even prove to not be dangerous in itself. I haven’t seen it, so I can’t judge that piece of work.

But at the same time, I think it’s important that we’re aware of what children could possibly be exposed to.

To read more information on this man, his books, and the movie…

Click here: Urban Legends Reference Pages: The Golden Compass
http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

Take Care,
Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye