Good Friday...Easter Morning

I love the signs of spring in my yard.
What a wonderful way nature celebrates Easter!

Yellow tulips, lavender Hyacinths, red Camellias, and a variety of Prim Roses are blooming with displays of color. Cherry trees are laden with pink and white blossoms, giving the air a sweet smell. New life is springing forth everywhere.

As a child I looked forward to coloring eggs in preparation for the holiday. On Easter morning my siblings and I would rise early to search for our baskets full of chocolate eggs and jellybeans. Sometimes I’d find a jump rope or a new coloring book and box of crayons.

I’d put on my new patent leather shoes, dress, hat, and gloves to attend church. We’d walk the few blocks to worship early enough to attend the breakfast served before the service. The church would be full of beautiful white lilies.

Easter is a time of joy. It’s a reminder of why we can live each day with hope. Because Jesus died for our sins and rose again, we’re able to have the gift of eternal life.

I do enjoy Easter…but as I’ve grown older, I've come to appreciate Good Friday even more. It's become my favorite day in the Christian faith.

Good Friday is the day we take time to worship and think about what Christ went through on the cross. His suffering and terrible death.

It’s not that I’m morbid.

It’s not that I get off on thinking about someone being beaten, tortured, and killed.

But, there’s no other day that reminds me in such a deep and gripping way how much I’m loved and forgiven by my Savior and God. It’s on that day, more than any other day, that I’m able to put myself at the feet of the cross with a heart full of understanding and thankfulness for what He was willing to do for me.

May you be blessed this Easter.
Dawn


1 comment:

  1. This is a great post, Dawn. I agree with you--Good Friday is an amazingly special day. Hope your evening service was fantastic.

    Hugs,
    Annette
    www.annetteirby.com

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye