The Prestige

I watched “The Prestige” on DVD a week ago and I’m still thinking about this fascinating movie.

The title derives from the story’s fictional practice of stage illusions having three parts. The Pledge, The Turn, and The Prestige.

Prestige is gained by being among the first and most adept at a skill that everyone else covets.

In the beginning of the 20th century, rival magicians Robert Angie (Hugh Jackman) and Alfred Borden (Christian Bale) become obsessed with revealing each other’s secrets and becoming more accomplished than the other. The competition continues to escalate, increasing the danger of the tricks.

The twists and turns in the plot kept me glued to the screen.

In their hunger for prestige, Robert and Alfred begin to make poor and dangerous decisions. Revenge becomes the motive for many of their actions and the result is destruction. Because of their inability to let go, their lives and those they loved are seriously and forever affected. These two men are not able to feel at peace with their lives or themselves.

Any one of us can be affected the same way. We can insist on being better than, being right, or harboring resentment for wrongdoings.

Or we can forgive and embrace the peace that “letting go” will give us.

I think I’ll choose peace.
Dawn

1 comment:

  1. Cool! My husband called my from Michigan after church on Sunday and told me that the whole group was talking about this movie--he put it on our must-see list.
    Katie Johnson

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye