No Regrets - Part 2

In my last post, I wrote about not being burdened down with regrets about our past. But, today I want to talk about living without regrets in the present and future.



We can’t change our past, but we can learn from it. We can make decisions that affect whether we deal with future regrets or not.

I’ve changed considerably over the past eight to ten years.

There was a time when I was so disciplined and so stuck in my routine that I had a difficult time deviating from it. If Thursday was my cleaning day and Friday was laundry day, that’s what I did. No matter what else presented itself, the cleaning was accomplished every Thursday and the laundry was tackled by Friday evening. I know… it was sick. But, that’s how I was raised…and it was a tough thing to break.

I still have a need for routine. I still need to have a clean house and have things in order. And I have to admit, it’s much easier now that the kids are all old enough to be on their own. I’m also fortunate to have a husband who does his own laundry and also likes things to be in their place. I’ve been blessed with a good man!

But, I’ve also learned to put people ahead of household chores. If a friend calls and asks if I’ll meet her for dinner…the household duties are put on hold. If several friends ask me to go away for a girls’ weekend…I’m there. If one of my daughters calls at midnight because they need to talk…I disregard the fact that I’m tired and have to get up in the morning for work.

I don’t ever want to regret a situation where I’ve not put people first. Because of making this change - my life has become so much richer.

It’s also taken me a long time to come to a place in my life where I’m willing to step out and try new things. I was never a risk taker. I’ve always needed to be in control. Needed to make sure I would never make a fool of myself.

I was wrong. And I was missing out…

Life is full of risks. And if we don’t take them, we’ll never know what we’re really made of. I’m not talking about irresponsible financial risks or dangerous physical risks. But, I am talking about those things in our heart of hearts that we desire to experience, but are afraid to.

It’s been a risk for me to start the journey to becoming an established writer. What if my novels are never published? What if people think I’m foolish or not talented enough to pursue such a difficult career? What if I fall on my face?

If I never get a book published, at least I can say I tried. I started out to prove to myself that I could write a full length novel and I’ve written two at this point – and have ideas for more.

I’ve met extraordinary people in this writer’s journey and made wonderful new friends. I’ve been able to learn, grow, and feed a part of my soul that nothing else has been able to satisfy.

I would never have been given those blessings had I not taken the risk and tried.

It’s taught me to step out on that limb and experience all that I can. In the future, I don’t want to say “I wish I had…”

I want to end my life here saying, “I’m so glad I did…”
Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye